Some fall flowers . . .

A famous writer once said, "You can lead a Horticulture, but you can't make her think." How true that is. And it makes you wonder who grows plants like these . . . .

The closer we get to winter, the more the New England countryside reverts to black-and white. It's like the saturation dial gets turned down, day by day. But you can still find spots of color. One place I look is the greenhouses at Smith College. When I was a kid the Smith girls were superior and snooty, and they sneered at the likes of me. Now, though, they admit me to their institution and are even friendly, especially when I pay to get in. These are some of the plants from their fall mum show, which runs through the 20th:



I am told they have live bees, snakes, and rats to pollinate and disseminate the plants. So you have to watch your step but it's worth it.



I am not sure how they get their mums to grow in a ball, but they do . . .





Some of the colors are quite delicate.







If you like these, there are more over on my Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/johnelderrobison























Comments

Artsiejavagirl said…
just your ears?

yelp!

your men-tee-
stacie
Unknown said…
That quote in the first paragraph made me laugh. It's very black comedy for such a field. Heh.
gkgirl said…
these are beautiful flowers.

and i have to say
that i just finished reading
your book
and really, really enjoyed it.

you have a way with words
and a great way of telling a story...
i would definitely recommend it
to others...
:O)
Unknown said…
These flowers are eye-catching and i want to see more on the next post!
- J.
Web Solutions
Michelle O'Neil said…
Gorgeous John! I love these photos.
DJ Kirkby said…
Mums are not my favourite flowers but there were a couple in your post that were very attractive. I have a fabulous book to give away on my Chez Aspie blog (that I think you'd find quite interesting) from Sunday so please stop by and join in the fun.
Amanda said…
BEAUTIFUL photos!! Ever thought of doing one of those coffee table books?

Got a date for the release of book #2 yet? Thinking about the varmint hole test still makes me giggle! :D
Anonymous said…
Actually, many whores are quite intelligent, cultured, thoughtful human beings. I've known a few.
Michelle S. said…
Beautiful photographs, like always!

Popular Posts